This recipe tantalises the tastebuds and is excellent for pitta and kapha. Okra is an excellent laxative and lubricates the gut, making digestion easeful. It has also been known to help with arthritis conditions.
- 1 bunch okra, chopped into thirds
- 2 tbsp. ghee (preferably organic)
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger & garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- optional; 2 green bird's eye chilies
- salt and pepper to taste
- coriander leaves and spring onions (small bunch chopped roughly.)
what to do;
In 1 tablespoon ghee, stir fry the okra for 3 minutes. This step helps them dry out the insides; Set aside. In the same pan, add the rest of the ghee, the chopped onions and cook until the onions turn slightly golden and soft. Add the ginger/garlic paste and continue to cook for additional 3 minutes until all flavours are enhanced. Add the chopped tomatoes until they become soft and have imparted their acidic nature. Lastly add all the spices and let them cook for 1 minute. Make sure the okra is soft to the bite. Lastly add the coriander leaves, chilies and spring onions, cook for an additional 30 seconds then turn off heat.You can add a little water if it is too dry. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
* this dish is great with rice or chapati, and can be put into a sandwich for the next day.