- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package fresh frozen spinach (thawed) or 1 bunch fresh (washed and drained)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1 cup fresh organic Italian parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup fresh organic basil, coarsely chopped
- 1 inch piece of jalapeño pepper, seeded or black pepper
- 2 to 4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups artichoke hearts ( I use frozen, thawed)
- 2 tbsp. shoyu (or tamari)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
What to do;
In a heavy (non-aluminium) skillet, sauté onion and garlic in 2 tbsp. olive oil until translucent. Place cooked onion, garlic and all juices in the bowl of a blender. Add spinach, parsley, basil, pepper and two cups vegetable broth. Process on low until well combined then increase the speed to high.
Through lid, pour in vegetable broth until desired consistency is reached. If you have a Vita-Mix or Blendtec that will heat the soup, do so. Return blender to low position, chop artichoke hearts. Adjust flavours. Do not over-blend.
You may also eat this soup chilled. If you need to heat the broth, do so after artichokes are chopped, and do not allow to boil.
Just before serving, add shoe or tamari and sea salt.